Saturday, October 4, 2014

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

         Two stories from the point of view of twins, one story from the point of view of 13 year old Noah, the other from 16 year old Jude. Rating: 5 Stars


Beauty in the form of a book. The whole entire book I was on the edge of tears, but only now as I am writing this do I actually begin to cry. This book is so beautiful I don't know where to begin. Reading most of it I was in 40 degree weather with barley a jacket on, but I didn't care. This book consumed me, and I am internally grateful.

   This book had dual-POVs, which I love in general, and only increases my love of this book. I would hate the current POV I was in a few pages into it, yearning to get back the previous one, but the hate was gone within 10 pages and it only restarted the next transition. I think overall I liked Jude's better, I think I related to it more. Both Jude and Noah were amazing characters and so relateable and when they were together my heart grew 10 sizes. The supported characters where also always so complex and fully fledged you couldn't help but fall in love with them, except a certain bastard I can never forgive, but let's ignore that.

  The mystery unraveled itself so slowly but so quickly it was breathtaking. The interchanging of knowledge switching between POVs was such a perfect example of dramatic irony that I've never seen before. I didn't think it was too obvious, but I think some of them you were meant to conclude.

  I think the thing I love most about I'll Give You The Sun, other than the beautiful characters was the writing style. Each POV was so much different from each other, not just in maturity, but in tone and personality and word choice.  Each twin had their own little quirk which made the writing different from the usual, which i loved. Especially how Noah would title situations like they were a painting. They're really good writing/ drawing prompts, my favorite being,
(Self portrait: Boy Rowing Madly Back Through Time).

To sum this up, go read I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson.








No comments:

Post a Comment