Saturday, September 20, 2014

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas



Rating: 4 Stars
The third book in the Throne of Glass series.

     I was really really really excited for this book. But, then it mailed a couple weeks late and school got in the way and I was reading the first half kind of slow, which once I really got in it I was confused and it was a whole mess. I read Crown Of Midnight a couple months ago and I didn't quite remember what happened which made me confused but I hope to re-read the whole story again which will probably make me like it more. Overall it was really good, it was my own fault for not liking it as much. Okay from now on, SPOILERS.
 

   Heir of Fire was definitely a transition book. It was all about getting Celaena to accept her crown, and along with it her powers. It had A LOT of world building and i'm soo excited for the next ones, Maas has set up something great. It had intertwining story lines, which I love, and here's my thoughts on  each one.

   Celaena: I love her, and all her badass assassin skills. And now her magic skills. It was obviously my favorite  She overcame so much and has embraced her role as future queen. My heart broke over and over for her, when Rowan calls he a coward, when the king kills all the slaves, when Sam and Nehemia whip her. The last two especially, they teared me up.

   Speaking of Rowan, I heard people loved him so I knew he would eventually warm up, but it didn't stop me from from hating him. His complete loyalty to her aunt and he was so cruel and oblivious to her past. I did eventually start to like him and I loved their relationship. It was such a great example of a platonic relationship and i really hope they dont get together. I can't deal with a Celeana-Rowan-Chaol-Dorian-Aedion love pentagon thing.

  Aedion: I really liked him, I wish we got more of Adarlan then how much of Manon we got. I was never fooled by his asshole persona, or a loyalty to the king. His complete worship of Aelin and how he was shameful of himself, and him she later revealed to be shameful. It broke my heart. AND how he would rather be imprisoned and maybe die than tell Celaena her lover was dead. Next book, I need a Aelin/Aedion reunion.

  Chaol: Okay. I've been "Team Chaol" since the beginning but Chaol really annoyed me in this book. He could never make up his mind between the King and Dorian and Celaena, when the answer was obvious. He also distanced himself so much from Dorian, which annoyed me. I don't have much else to say since he wasn't in it much.

  Dorian: Got the shortest end of Heir of Fire stick. We got little of his storyline, which wasn't that interesting. Instead of learning to use his powers he was just shutting it down, which wasn't anything super inciting. I didn't hate Sorsha, she was nice and I thought was good for Dorian. Although, I am "Team Chaol" I still like Dorian and want him to be happy. I did accidentally see Sorsha get decapitated but did not expect her to be a spy, which I thought was kinda out of the blue, useless, and then swept under the rug. But, Dorian's now a slave or something? I was a little confused and thought he was one of the prince thing Celaena defeated, until I heard differently. I just am very scared for Dorian.

  Manon: I liked her story line, it did a lot to make me hate the King more, which everyone needs, and did a lot for world building. I though she was really interested except she took her up way tooo much space. I thought that story-line would be the antagonist of the story, but no. Or that she would somehow intertwine with something in this book, but no. All she did was take away time from the Adarlan boys.

  Overall, I really enjoyed it. It was a great set up for the next on, I just read it wrong.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment