Sunday, July 19, 2015

Me And Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews


12700353
Rating: 4 stars, 75/100
                                          
Summary: Greg is in his senior year and instead of being in a clique he chooses to be "friendly" with each of them and subsequently doesn't have any friends. When a fellow student, Rachel is diagnosed with leukemia Greg's mother forces him to hang out with her. This is the story of him, his coworker, Earl and the dying girl, Rachel fucking around and Greg being an all around ass hole. 

When I first finished this book I had good thoughts around it but now, a couple days later, its kinda angering Mr. Greg, was an annoying, problematic asshole. I'm not sure how much of that was the author's intent and how much of that was the author. All I'd heard about his book before reading it was that it was hilarious, but honestly I didn't think it was that funny.  Except fro Earl who cracked me up and one scene with Vietnamese food. The oh-this-isn't-your-usual-young-adult-book got annoying after the 10th time. There's a random conversation that's just pure biphobia and it doesn't fit in with the character at all. I think it was suppose to be a funny reflection on teenagers or to have the characters be  more 'real' or 'raw' but it was just untasteful. However I did enjoy how chill the writing was and there's a whole chapter that just in bullet points which i liked.

tl;dr: Kinda funny and entertaining but you gotta deal with asshole narrator


No comments:

Post a Comment