Monday, September 15, 2014

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Rating: 4 Stars
Final Anna and the French Kiss. Girl who attends a French boarding school starts dating her long term crush, a senator's artistic son.
I didn't really want to read this. I heard bad reviews, the synopsis didn't sound interesting, and I've read contemporary a lot lately. But I knew it was going to probably be good as both of Stephanie Perkins last 2 were amazing (although I didn't remember Lola I know I liked it) and I knew both Anna and Lola were in this and everyone needs more St.Claire in their lives. So I picked it up, put I down for a while and then one night I wanted to read for about 5 minutes before I go to bed. And then next thing I know I'm at the acknowledgments and it's one in the morning.
I fall for it every time. Its a problem.
I really liked Josh. He’s definitely my favorite out of all of the Perkins boys, but that might just be because of his art. My favorite part of the book was the graphic novel. It not spoilers if you haven’t read it, but you know what i’m talking about if you have. His art was really easy to imagine and I need fanart of his art right now. I wish the cover was something he did in the book, that would be sooo cool. I was very happy how they got together so quick, it was a good refresher to most contemporary where it takes seven years for the couple to get together.  
Although I really enjoyed it, but not as much as Anna (again, I don't remember Lola) I did have some problems with it. I liked her relationship with Kurt, her best friend, but I thought she talked about him too much to others (no wonder people thought they were dating) and after being friends for so long I thought it was rude of Kurt to cut her off after only a month of Isla being absent. I didn't really like Isla, I thought she didn't really have a personality or defining characteristic and I thought the whole insecurity trope in the end was out of character and out of the blue. It was a little long, I would something find myself skimming to see when things would start to happen.

Overall, really enjoyed it even though I had some problems with it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it without read Anna or Lola.

No comments:

Post a Comment