Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Hold Me Closer by David Levithan

Summary: A companion musical (with a lot of stage direction that was more narration than directions) to the novel Will Grayson, Will Grayson. A one man play with other characters staring Tiny Cooper, Will's best friend and will's friend in the novel. A musical about love, acceptance, and life.
22736613
Rating: 3 Stars

I think this is the first script I've read that wasn't for school, but it didn't really feel like a play at time because of the long bits of narration. I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson a while ago so I don't really remember it and felt like I was left out of a inside joke or some ting at times. It was really funny, laugh out loud funny.

I had a few problems with the play though. The sometimes disrespectful names and even slurs Tiny would say not directed at himself would occasionally make me uncomfortable. The music wasn't very good and repetitive, even for theatre. It was really long and a lot of things seemed unnecessary. I know this is more like a novel than anything and I shouldn't judge it like a play but it's hard not too. Also, although it doesn't matter, the budget for this play would be huge. 

Overall, it was a fun, quick, different read that was really funny but lacked depth and felt a little drawn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment