Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Body Electric by Beth Revis

The Body Electric by Beth Revis
Rating: 4 Stars

Summary: Ella Shepard lives in the future. Her mother is sick, her father died a year ago and her memory is faulty. 

Beth Revis' first series, Across the Universe, was my favorite series for a really long time. It's also one of the few series I've read more than once. When I heard Revis was writing something new I was really excited and I've only waited this long to read it because I wanted my own physical copy. Comparing the two, The Body Electric and Across the Universe, I definitely liked Across the Universe better. They are two very different books, and it's also incredibly difficult to compare a standalone to three separate books.


I had a couple problems with this book. I thought the pacing was off. The beginning was kind of slow but the ending, and the last 100-200 pages felt really rushed.I wish I got to know the supporting characters more. Other than Ella, the protagonist, and the antagonist, none of the supporting characters were really fledged out. I don't even feel really connected or knowledgeable about the love interest, Jack. I also got kind of a insta-love feel because of that, which you'll know is weird if you've read the book.

However, I liked pretty much everything else. I read it really fast, in a couple hours. Every five minutes I was like "stop at the next chapter" then next thing I knew I was at the final page. Apart from the first a hundred pages the entire book kept me on my feet and engaged. I was really fast paced and I flew through it. I liked the mystery, and although I guessed the overall twist there were some details that really shocked me. The world building was really good and interesting and the nod at Godspell made my heart grow three sizes. I really like Ella, I thought she was a really strong character and likable. The writing, particularity the parts with the bees, was amazing  I think I should also mention the gorgeous cover. The format of the rest of the book, the font and the chapter illustration, is also really pretty. 

Overall, I really liked this book and wouldn't mind a couple novellas about Jack, Xavier and Julie. Definitely read this if you enjoyed her previous books, Across the Universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment